Volunteers and interns make our organization vibrant and strong! Ever since the very beginnings of Michigan Energy Options, the incredible spirit and energy of our volunteers and interns have allowed us to work toward our sustainability goals and promote energy efficiency for communities across the state.
Michigan Energy Options is always seeking volunteers to help in our East Lansing office, which also serves as a demonstration center for the public. The center includes solar shingles and a renewable energy system, an energy bike, an edible forest garden, a functioning outdoor composting system and indoor vermicomposting bins, as well as many other demonstrations of sustainable living!
Assistance is needed in several areas, including (but never limited to):
• Assistance with statewide programs
• Improving and maintaining displays and materials in the demonstration center
• Landscaping and gardening, grounds maintenance
• General maintenance and upkeep (some specific skills may be required)
While we are generally not able to provide paid internships unless we have grant funding to do so, we make up for that by providing valuable learning opportunities to help bring our interns’ career experiences to the next level.
Depending on the organization’s most current needs, MEO interns can expect to work on a variety of tasks pertaining to our mission of sustainability. Interns in the past have worked on various projects, including working firsthand on statewide public relations and marketing campaigns, managing website content, and designing educational and marketing materials with programs like Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator.
Interested in interning for us? The following skills are helpful:
• A desire to learn about the organization and structure of a successful non-profit
• The ability to collaborate with others as part of a team
• Good communication skills and a willingness to educate the public about energy and sustainability issues
• Exceptional organizational skills
• Proficiency in programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and in some cases, Adobe Creative Suite is highly desirable
If you feel that you have relevant skills, experience or ideas and would like to become involved with Michigan Energy Options, we’d love to hear from you! To get started, contact Bryan Madle at 517.337.0422, you can also email her: firstname.lastname@example.org